He built the first mosque in Tawi-Tawi and started preaching the Islamic faith to early Filipinos. He wa￼s followed by Rajah Baguinda in 1390. His marriage to a native princess led to the conversion of many natives to Islam.
In 1450, Abubakar arrived in Sulu. He continued the worked of Rajan Baguinda. HE and his wife, Putri Paramisulu became the first sultan and sultanate of Sulu, and it was the most important turning point of Islam in Mindanao. Tawi-Tawi, Zamboanga, Basilan ,and Palawan were also converted to Islam. Then in 1515, Shariff Mohammed Kabungsuan became the Sultan of Maguindanao.
His influence reacehd the innermost part of Zamboanga and Davao. Because of the political structure of Muslim and the people’s loyalty and faith to Islam, the Spaniards were not able to conquer Mindanao.
Muslims are the followers of Islam. They follow the teachings of Allah written in Koran. Muslims believed in one God, Allah and one prophet, Mohammed. Muslims obey the two sets of basic Islamic principles: The six articles of faith and the faith pillars of Islam.
The Six Articles of Faith
1. To believe in Allah, the only God.
2. To believe and put into practice the teachings of Quran.
3. To believe in Mohammed as prophet of Allah.
4. To believe in angels.
5. To believe in life after death.
6. To believe that Allah is just, powerful, and has no beginning and no end.
The Five Pillars of Islam
1. Shahada. There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is His prophet.
2. Salat. Followers of Allah must pray￼￼ 5 times a day except on Fridays. They must pray facing the east, to the directions of Mecca.
3. Saum. Followers of Allah must fast during the month of Ramadan. This is the holiest month in Islam.
4. Zakat. Followers of Allah must help those who are in need.
5. Hajja. Followers of Allah must do pilgrimage to Mecca once in his/her lifetime.
To learn more about the history of Islam in Philippines, you can visit this website www.muslimmindanao.ph/